Sunday, June 16, 2013

Sandhamn

Hi and Happy Father's Day.  It is as nice day here in Stockholm.  I am treating myself today.  I slept in, had an omelet for breakfast. Sushi for lunch and making myself shrimp risotto for dinner...  It isn't all about the food but it is good.  I also went on a nice walk and am enjoying the occasional rain shower as I look out my window onto the river and Kungsholmen.

Yesterday I did a day trip to Sandhamn.  It is one of the further out islands of the Archipelago.  There are a couple of nice housing areas, a few shops, restaurants, a hotel and a few miles of hiking trails.  It was a beautiful day and I spent most of it hiking around.  Then enjoyed a live band on the docks after an expensive (but good) lunch.  

Here are a few pictures.



This is the town of Sandhamn.  More pictures by clicking below





The ferry which seemed really reasonable at $20 for the 2.5 hour trip each way


Rock Beaches


And sand beaches.  While the boat was packed everyone seems to spread out so it is not crowed anywhere on the island.


A number of the houses have grass growing on the roofs...


Great paths all over the island

The rest are pictures from along the way to Sandhamn



This house was very cool.  It is on a very small island.  There is a glass room with the branches on top.


Vaxholm.  You can drive to this island as well.


Our future summer house....













1 comment:

Wayne Castle said...

Hey Gordon: Your Summer home looks great. The little place with the grass roof is that where you are living now? Love, Dad