Friday, December 13, 2013

Saint Lucia - Part 2

We woke up this morning and watched the Saint Lucia broadcast live from Skansen (I think).  Unfortunately I had to bake my own lussebullar and get my own coffee since the girls were busy watching the tv. 
our Lucia said the candles were too heavy and she couldn't hold her head up, besides the fact that I forgot to get greenery to make the head-piece wreath look nice (and even heavier!).
home-made lussebullar
At school the 5th graders paraded through the halls performing a traditional Lucia ceremony.  They also handed out pepperkakor (ginger snaps). 

I must say I love the calm, low-key Swedish society.  Sofia and I headed to NK (the big department store) at 4:30pm for the 5pm Lucia ceremony, thinking we'd be late and not be able to see.  We arrived at 4:45, 15 minutes before show-time.  We were some of the first to arrive.  Five minutes before the ceremony the NK Atrium was filling up but not claustrophobic.  The ceremony started at 5pm and lasted 15 minutes.  Perfect! 
Lucia (wreath and candles on head), "backup singers" and Star boys...

I have to admit, I don't understand the 'star boys'.  Forgive me, they look goofy and, coming from the southern United States, creepy... read between the lines!

The traditional Lucia music/song is beautiful and gets stuck in your head, in a good way!  Gabby would beg to differ.  She would just like to be American and not observe all these Swedish holidays...  good thing the holiday break starts next Thursday!  It will be interesting to see how she remembers all this years from now. 

No comments: